How To Prepare for Successful Dental Implant Surgery?
The thought of oral surgery overwhelms many people even though it is a common process. The dental implant procedure is a crucial step towards obtaining a happy smile and better oral health. It maintains your chewing and biting abilities and jaw structure preservation after tooth loss. If you reside in or around Cypress in Texas then visit Orion Dental Specialties.
The dental clinic has been using the All on 4 dental implants technique efficiently as it –
- Allows complete arc restoration with just 4 implants, thus your treatment sessions and recovery is reduced significantly.
- The chances for bone graft surgery are reduced [except for people with bone loss]. It ensures existing bone stability.
- Is comfier than dentures and has no worries about it slipping out while talking or eating.
For a successful Cypress TX dental implant process, there are some steps to be taken to prepare.
Comprehensive oral examination & treatment plan
An oral checkup allows the dentist to decide if the patient is eligible for dental implant surgery or not. The professionals check the patients’ medical history, do a visual examination, and take X-rays.
The diagnosis helps the dentist to decide the treatment plan.
If the patient –
- Has a weak immune system, antibiotics will be prescribed before and after the dental implant procedure.
- Is allergic to dental materials or anesthetic an alternative will be used.
- Is on medication, which can interact with the surgery or anesthetic then the treatment plan will be tweaked accordingly.
- Has jaw issues that needs preparation then first bone grafting will be performed.
- If healthy, then the dentist will choose to insert the abutment and implant it in a single surgery.
The preparation process will impact the outcome, so make sure to follow the instructions given by your dentist.
Plan events accordingly
The dentist will advise patients to avoid attending events for a minimum of one week following their dental implant process. The first 3 to 4 days post-surgery must be totally committed to self-care and rest. Take holiday from work to ensure optimal recovery. Arrange for someone to take care of your kids as you recover.
Get sound sleep
The night before your surgery appointment ensure to get sound sleep because recovery will need strength. You don’t want to arrive at the clinic feeling all stressed and anxious.
Choose comfortable loose clothing for the appointment. Ensure to avoid wearing nail polish, jewelry, makeup, and contact lenses for the appointment.
Should you fast before the implant surgery?
Generally, it is necessary to avoid eating 10 to 12 hours before dental implant surgery. Ask your dentist? The dentists are concerned about pulmonary aspiration. It happens when stomach content gets in the lungs. It is not fatal but can increase infection risk like pneumonia. Therefore, the dentists recommend a fast before oral surgery.
Arrange for a ride home
During the dental implant procedure, the patients are anesthetized or sedated. Even if the patient is released on the same day after surgery it is unwise to drive back home. It means you need a family or friend to ride you home, so make arrangements for a pickup to get home safely.
The Orion Dental Specialties is leading dental implants Cypress TX serving the community for more than 30 years. The dentists make use of the best dentistry technology and offer complimentary dental checkup.
It doesn’t matter if you need a simple cleaning, routine checkup, teeth whitening, root canal, cosmetic dentistry, braces, or dental implants. Make an appointment and get the best oral health care!
Diet tips post dental implant surgery
Dental implants need to get fully healed and unified within the jawbone. Only after this, it will offer the strength to chew and enjoy your favorite foods. It is also crucial to follow the diet tips for the first few weeks after the dental implant surgery to enjoy a successful treatment. The dentist will offer you guidelines for a post-surgery diet.
Foods to avoid
Some kinds of foods can damage the implant and extend the recovery timeline.
Therefore, avoid the following foods for a week post dental implant procedure.
- Very hot liquids or food like soup and coffee
- Tough foods like salads and steak
- Chewy foods like bagels and gummies
- Sticky foods like taffy and caramel
- Crunchy foods like chips and popcorn
- Acidic food like tomatoes and oranges
- Spicy foods like salsa and hot peppers
Foods to eat
Post implant surgery the jaw and teeth are vulnerable. Therefore, it is essential to stick to soft food for one-day or 24 hours post-surgery. The dentists recommend incorporating the following foods and planning your meals.
- Cold soups – It is essential to stay away from hot liquids and foods but cold soups like gazpacho can be enjoyed.
- Applesauce – You cannot eat an apple but apple sauce will offer a majority of the nutrients without damaging the implant.
- Smoothies – Smoothies don’t need chewing and they are loaded with nutrition. Make smoothies that are rich in essential vitamins to restore the lost energy. Smoothies are a perfect meal alternative post-surgery.
Long term care
Routine oral hygiene with regular teeth must be pursued even with dental implants. Brush and floss your teeth twice daily. Visit the dentist regularly for follow-up appointments. Dental implants never decay, but periodontal disease can impact them, so practice good oral care. Keep smiling confidently!